Brake pipe work

48hrs +6 hrs = 54hrs

I thought I updated last week… seems I ddint. Spent two weekends with a couple of hours here and there fitting the brake pipes, all are done now bar the one that goes under the chassis (pending some voulenteers to help flip it!)

The very front pipes were pretty straight forward, I opted to use both the underneath and the side of the chassis rail to take the pipes (as you will see), hopefully this dhould be okay and we will not have to ues that for anything else!

The diagonal was a little pain, needed to give a good tap to get a mark for a hole, drill it and use the brake clips, using a test bit of copper scrap pipe was really key to getting this right – also when bending tight turns using a spanner on the pipe union seemed to work okay, don’t kink it though!

Two pipes at the front were a pain, the long one was just a little awkward – mainly the routing it under the master cylinder was a little tricky, doable though.

The one which was a tad intricate was the pipe fron secondary port to T piece, it needs to bend in three axis over a short distance! This wsa al going well, until i managed to start the cross thread into the T piece – DAMN!

A tip I did read somewhere was removing the T piece for fitting this – in my wisdom i didnt do this 🙂 When I did remove the T piece I as able to get a decent thread and it “refound” itself. Panic over.

Working on the back of the brake setup now I started forming the rear pipes, the sorter one was easy, a few interesting bends, but doable.

The LH pipe was more difficlt, it;s just that bit longer and has to avoid the reel seatbelt mounts, and needed to avoid a stud on the LH side (the mirror of the one used for the rear T piece).

From some help from WSCC (thank you!) I’ve found the spare stud isnt needed, so it got the chop thus removing one obstacle.

I did have a bit of a drama when I drilled a hole for the pipe clip in the tube that hosts the reel seatbelt mounts. As i was drilling this the bit went through the tube, then hit another bit of tube what it is welded with. The result was a fast drill bit came to an abrubt stop due to the angle of the tube – and it snapped 😦 When it snapped it missed my eye by mmm, I wear goggles for such things when I feel like it – going forward it will be for anything like this, lesson learnt – WEAR GOGGLES.

Here are a load of pics, hopefuly they can be deduced.

Another note i found was that in the biger chassis build manual there is talk of a pedal stop bolt, no mention of this in the MX5 book though, nor have i seen any builds with it.

Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: