Monthly Archives: May 2011

Final brake pipe

54hrs + 2 hrs = 56hrs

Final brake pipe fitting time (long 2m pipe front front T to back T), I looked around for the many ways to do this, the manual routes the pipe diagonally accross the front floor panel, however it looks possible to route along the edge.

Taking tips from my usual selection of blogs of similar builds i saw this solution here.. http://mx5-westfield.blogspot.com/2009_09_01_archive.html

Running the brake pipe along the edge, and the fuel pipes along the side of the lowered floor – at least i’d have a go!

This wen’t quite well really, a fair bit of trial bits of copper brake pipe to test the bends required, and being a 2m pipe it’s quite difficult to handle, that said routing as i have it seems to have fitted asi hoped.

I did find i had a selection of P clips from WF who kindly sent them over, i found the right size eventually, just ended up having enough after bending a couple of rivets.

Hopefully the fuel pipes will route around and about the newly fitted brake pipe!

Another couple of notes, none of the builds show or mention pedal stop bolts for the MX5 SDV build, however it made sense to fit one, and the chassis has a nut to screw one into. speaking to Mark from WF he says they should be fitted, and adjusted according to what seems to be required. no guide lengths given 😦

Another note is I am getting to “source a mazda” part – I always planned to use MX5 heaven for this and their donor kit offer. however the more I speak to them the less confidence then instill me with. Also they didnt sound like they could get me one any time within the next few months!

So I have my eyes open for a donor, may look to strip one back in Devon where I have space.

Brake pipe work

48hrs +6 hrs = 54hrs

I thought I updated last week… seems I ddint. Spent two weekends with a couple of hours here and there fitting the brake pipes, all are done now bar the one that goes under the chassis (pending some voulenteers to help flip it!)

The very front pipes were pretty straight forward, I opted to use both the underneath and the side of the chassis rail to take the pipes (as you will see), hopefully this dhould be okay and we will not have to ues that for anything else!

The diagonal was a little pain, needed to give a good tap to get a mark for a hole, drill it and use the brake clips, using a test bit of copper scrap pipe was really key to getting this right – also when bending tight turns using a spanner on the pipe union seemed to work okay, don’t kink it though!

Two pipes at the front were a pain, the long one was just a little awkward – mainly the routing it under the master cylinder was a little tricky, doable though.

The one which was a tad intricate was the pipe fron secondary port to T piece, it needs to bend in three axis over a short distance! This wsa al going well, until i managed to start the cross thread into the T piece – DAMN!

A tip I did read somewhere was removing the T piece for fitting this – in my wisdom i didnt do this 🙂 When I did remove the T piece I as able to get a decent thread and it “refound” itself. Panic over.

Working on the back of the brake setup now I started forming the rear pipes, the sorter one was easy, a few interesting bends, but doable.

The LH pipe was more difficlt, it;s just that bit longer and has to avoid the reel seatbelt mounts, and needed to avoid a stud on the LH side (the mirror of the one used for the rear T piece).

From some help from WSCC (thank you!) I’ve found the spare stud isnt needed, so it got the chop thus removing one obstacle.

I did have a bit of a drama when I drilled a hole for the pipe clip in the tube that hosts the reel seatbelt mounts. As i was drilling this the bit went through the tube, then hit another bit of tube what it is welded with. The result was a fast drill bit came to an abrubt stop due to the angle of the tube – and it snapped 😦 When it snapped it missed my eye by mmm, I wear goggles for such things when I feel like it – going forward it will be for anything like this, lesson learnt – WEAR GOGGLES.

Here are a load of pics, hopefuly they can be deduced.

Another note i found was that in the biger chassis build manual there is talk of a pedal stop bolt, no mention of this in the MX5 book though, nor have i seen any builds with it.